You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shivering in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can take a look at, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you have a better chance at averting a chilly situation.
- Gather supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace is out. It may seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Running:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this is the case, turn the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you keep your body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never use heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the probability is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the team at Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc a call at 262-358-9468 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services provided or any other number of heating questions.