Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Racine, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc in Racine a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 262-358-9468 or arrange an appointment with us online.