Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc in Racine about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require changing.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Racine home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Keystone Heating & Air Conditioning Co., Inc a call at 262-358-9468.