While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for way too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 262-358-9468. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Racine weather.